Hi Todd,

I have a 1981 C&C 34 with the same crack in the mast step that you have on
your boat. I have sailed it that way for a few years now. As the mast step
is in compression I haven't seen this crack as a critical issue or
a priority to fix seeing as the primary load on it is compression downward
into the hull. (I only found out about it a year ago when we had the mast
out for the first time but I suspect it has been this way for a long time
from before we bought the boat in 2018 as it isn't very obvious with the
mast and floor installed). I am jealous of your indoor storage but as my
boat is stored outdoors and I have a mast-up cover, I don't pull the mast
every year. While I will probably fix or modify it at some point it doesn't
seem to be a big deal right now.  Having a new custom mast step fabricated
will get somewhat expensive for sure. Obviously the real question is why it
cracks on these boats in the first place and that is probably worth
investigating so if you do pull it out I would be curious what you find
underneath it.

Nathan
S/V Wisper
1981 C&C 34