I know this has veered a bit off the original thread asking about fitment
issues, so I figured I might as well chime in now that we're sufficiently
off course... ;)

My 35-2 came with an old ComNav autopilot which drives a RayMarine wheel
pilot drive, not sure which vintage. The ComNav seems pretty robust (they
make mainly commercial units), but is now ~20 years old. It has a rudder
feedback arm mounted off the quadrant, and is capable of driving a
hydraulic drive up to 20A. Lately the unit will give an error indicating a
rudder feedback error, but I think it may just be complaining about the
belt slippage which occurs whenever I am motoring over 5.5kts or there is
any sea state beyond a light chop, so we rarely use it except for
dropping the main on occasion now. The main weakness seems to be the wheel
drive, as the housing has stress cracks at the sections where the two
halves are joined, and when it skips a tooth, I can see the housing split
apart slightly. Maybe a new housing would fix this, but the noise it makes
while under sail is too annoying for me to use it much anyway.

Our next boat will definitely have a direct drive AP, as per Don's comment
below. I've sailed a newer Dufour with a below deck chain drive AP that
seems to work well and is quiet, so it doesn't necessarily need to be
hydraulic.

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com