From: Robert Mazza via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: Martin DeYoung <martin.deyo...@outlook.com>
Cc: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>; Robert Mazza <robertlma...@gmail.com>
Sent: Fri, Mar 18, 2022 11:49 am
Subject: Stus-List Re: While we wait now IOR broach issues

Hi Martin,
The C&C designs under the CCA rule such as the 43s and the 35s for instance,
did not rate well under the IOR rule, especially after Peterson's Gambare was
launched in 1973 and defined what the IOR shape was going to be. As you say,
these differences included pinched ends, but also wider beams and reduced
stability.  Add to that the left over CCA elements in the Sail Area
calculations that only counted 85% of the fore triangle and accepted 150%
overlaps without penalty. This perpetuated the use of masthead rigs with large
fore triangles and ribbon mains and enormous spinnakers, sometimes with
overlength poles. Large spinnakers combined with reduced stability in high
winds put a lot of load on the rudder and created some white knuckle steering
as you continually "bounced" the rudder off stall! Exciting days!
Rob
On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 6:56 PM Martin DeYoung <martin.deyo...@outlook.com>