Listers:

FYI, while trying to determine what caused water infiltration into the balsa
core above the water line up forward (the last place that hasn’t been
repaired), a few days ago we identified the fittings securing the forestay
chainplate as the likely culprit.  Although I’m sure there are more accurate
names, the two fittings work together to make a stemhead fitting.  One fitting
runs vertically on the uppermost portion of the bow, just below the deck, and
has the forestay chainplate (looks like a large tang) welded on it.  The
forestay chainplate/tang comes through a slot cut into the deck.  The second
fitting is bolted onto the deck and has a slot for the chainplate/tang at the
forward end and some hardware to connect jib tacks at the aft end.

We believe there are two issues at work that caused water infiltration: 1) the
lower set of bolts holding the chainplate/tang fitting were drilled through the
uppermost area of balsa core, thereby providing a pathway to the core if not
properly sealed (which they were not); and 2) the deck fitting that fits around
the chainplate/tang was allowing water in (probably a lot over the years).
When we removed the deck fitting, we discovered that it was originally
installed about ¾” aft of where it should have been.  This was immediately
obvious because the originally drilled holes and the aft portion of the slot
where the chainplate/tang comes through the deck had been re-glassed.  We then
realized that the forward portion of this fitting had been modified to fit the
more forward location (the forward rectangular corners had been cut off so the
fitting/plate would fit).  We also noted that the slot for the chainplate/tang
was not centered, with the tang pushing against the deck opening on the port
side while leaving a 3/16” or so gap on the starboard side.  We widened the
slot on the port side to accommodate sealant.

We will be putting everything back together when it warms up a few degrees.  We
are debating what sealant to use for the deck fitting, particularly in the slot
around the chainplate/tang.  My expert is thinking Sikaflex 295.  What say you?

Matt

C&C 42 Custom