So, I examinedthis handheld a lot closer, and it turns out that the area of
disintegration is basically around the front and around the edges. If it
had gotten all over everything it looked like it was totally ruined. So, I
used a pairing knife and I was able to shave off all of the goo. It was
pretty much, basically exactly like tar. I used alcohol, it took longer,
but I think safer as I didn't want to ruin the plastic clear lens. ( I know
what acetone does to lexan, after mistakenly cleaning sikaflex off and
having it melt the plastic )  So, now the handheld is, I guess usable
again. Only problem is, now I want a newer one with with automatic rewind,
and AIS!
 Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bill Coleman
Entrada Erie PA