On 08/10/12 18:35, Zack Perry wrote:
I have noticed that when the following are done:

* anamon_enabled: 1 in /etc/cobbler/settings * $SNIPPET('pre_anamon')
and $SNIPPET('post_anamon') are in the kickstart template (e.g.
/var/lib/cobbler/kickstarts/rh.cfg)

Sometimes, on a KVM host, some guests after done with PXE booting,
would show errors like the following on their respective virtual
machine console:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/sbin/anamon",
line 275, in <module> anamoun_loop() File "/usr/local/sbin/anamon",
line 224, in anamon_loop wf.update() File "/usr/local/sbin/anamon",
line 121, in update self.uploadWrapper() [...]

But other guests do not show such errors.  This symptom typically
show up when we simultaneously PXE boot a number of guests.

I have known that anamon is considered deprecated for a while. This
is even in the official doc for 2.2.3
<http://cobbler.github.com/manuals/2.2.3/5/4_-_Anaconda_Monitoring.html>

 For the time being, I removed the two snippets from the kickstart
template, and have disabled the 'anamon_enabled: 1' from
/etc/cobbler/settings just to keep things clean.

But then naturally the Q would be: what is a good alternative for
monitoring installation progress?

For kickstart, I use anaconda's remote logging facility and a central log server running syslog (this is the standard in RHEL6+ and its clones and available in earlier versions)

rsyslog can filter logs into separate locations based on incoming host (and many other criteria), so you don't end up with everything all mixed up in one file. (Yes, I know there are alternatives)

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.
"It's today!" said Piglet.