For the first time I have Bullock’s Orioles in my yard in Aurora.  I’ve been
seeing 3-4 regularly the past few weeks.   They come to the Suet feeder and are
even eating sunflower hearts.  They have plenty of insects available.  They do
a great job of intimidating the flocks of young starlings and blackbirds from
the suet feeders and water fountains.   The nesting flickers don’t mind sharing
suet with them and seem to feed more when they are there.    The flickers have
been great at defending the nest boxes from all of the starlings, thanks to
help from the orioles.

I thought they were nesting in Horseshoe Park, with the zillions of Red-winged
Blackbirds and Common Grackles, but one pair is nesting in a nearby Cottonwood
Tree and I found another nest a few blocks away in a very large Maple.   My
best guess is they are trying to nest further away from the blackbirds/grackles.

Allison Hilf
Aurora, CO