On Mar 24, 2008, at 7:12 AM, Jeff LaMarche wrote:
I'g be rather surprised if the Cocoa books took out discussions of traditional objective-C memory managements in their next releases. It's still available for use, and as you mention, necessary for writing to earlier versions of the OS, not to mention for programming that thing that we're allowed to talk about programming for here.

It would not surprise me. There are still a lot of cases where you cannot make use of the Garbage Collector. For example, I would hope that Cocoa development books might discuss the Ruby and Python Objective-C bridges. If you either bridge in your application (either to implement an embedded scripting language, or as the main implementation language), then you will not be able to use the garbage collector.

There are also third party frameworks and libraries that may not yet be available in garbage collected versions. Applications linking to those libraries will have to use the traditional memory management scheme as well.

Over time, there will be more code able to take advantage of the Garbage Collector, but I think it will be some time before it's ubiquitous enough to remove the retain/release memory management scheme from the literature.

Scott