on 2008-03-24 11:30 AM, colo at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In Ruby GC just works dandy without thought. Why is it so different in
> Cocoa Obj2.0?

My main issue is how to know exactly when to declare instance variables weak
or strong. There seem to be some subtleties in that area that I don't yet
understand. On the other hand, it appears that these issues will rarely be
encountered, and that the simple rules of thumb in the documentation will
almost always be enough.

> What kinda of real headaches will I have jumping into osx programing
> compared to ruby ?

I've never used Ruby, so I can't answer your question. The question I would
ask is the other way around: what kind of headaches would I have jumping
into Ruby?

After programming for years in Pascal, plus Basic before that, I found
learning C pretty easy. Then when I got into Objective-C and the Cocoa
frameworks, it took me an hour or two to understand the Objective-C
additions to standard C and maybe a day to be able to use them comfortably.
The Cocoa frameworks take a lot more study, of course, but that has nothing
to do with the language -- it's just like learning any new framework.

--

Bill Cheeseman - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Quechee Software, Quechee, Vermont, USA

PreFab Software - www.prefabsoftware.com