So I'm looking through the docs on NSDictionaryController... trying to understand how it decides how to create new keys. The docs say "to customize this behavior (that is the creation of your keys) override the "newObject" method." And it occurs to me, that this kinda defeats the purpose of the NS*Controller objects themselves doesn't it?

I mean, weren't their original goals to make it easier for us by removing the need for us to write our own custom controller classes all the time? We could just reuse the controllers provided by dragging and dropping them in IB?

In order to override this functionality, I have to make a new class and inherit from it, etc.. (I realize I can use a category, but that seems a bit overkill too.) If I'm going to go to all that work... isn't it just as easy to set up a custom controller and wire things up directly?

What am I missing here? Someone enlighten me? I kinda feel this way about a lot of the controllers provided in IB. They're *almost* good enough for most of the things I want to do.. but never *exactly* what I need.

--
Jiva DeVoe
http://www.random-ideas.net