Totally agreed that seeing extensions on file names is unfortunate. But as long as applications are properly setting/using the hidden extension bit (and many do), most of the time users should not see extensions on any of their files, except the ones where they want to (for instance, developers usually like to see extensions on their source files).

As someone else also pointed out, file extensions replace and augment type codes, not creator codes. Creator codes are often used to cause documents to open in a particular app. But having an app explicitly and automatically mark documents it saves as opening in itself can get frustrating for the user. Clearly for documents specific to a single app, there is no issue; the document will automatically open in that app thanks to its type (declared via file extension and/or type code). For documents that are recognized by multiple apps, the user has the power to bind a particular document to any app they wish, using the file inspector in Finder. So at least for this purpose the creator code is not needed.

Ali