Ricky Sharp wrote:

I also know that you're still required to register a creator code for
at least one other thing (cannot think of it now).

Component Manager components use them for identification. Not that too many folks should need to write CM-based plugins these days; most will use the CF/NSBundle architecture instead.

I think it may also useful when dealing with Apple Events.

You can use creator codes in AEAddressDescs (see typeApplSignature), which are used to identify applications, though again there are newer alternatives (e.g. typeApplicationBundleID).

HTH

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net