Hi All,

It can be done, with caveats. For an example, heres a developer example showing how a banner can be displayed on login, and that links with Cocoa.framework:
        /Developer/Examples/Security/bannersample

However, caveat 1: This is actually an Authorization Plugin, and as such hooks into a well documented chain of software running in the login context.

As others have already suggested - you should read (twice) the docs on launchd, the daemon and agent plist settings - and really get to know this material. E.g. if you can answer questions about the session security contexts blindfolded, you are ready to begin [young master].

Think carefully about this, Apple changed this in Leopard for good reasons - mostly security related. Ask yourself really carefully if your app *has* to be a GUI app that runs in the login context.

Have fun, and read the sample code - it takes you a long way toward the solution.

--
john clayton