The NSTableView is based on the MVC paradigm which has existed for quite some time. A method you implement gets called to return the value for each cell (more or less). So if you have a table with forty cells, then at least 40 times the method will get called. After I started looking at it this way, the whole NSTableView thing clicked.

The NSTableView docs aren't too bad. Trust me, you haven't hit the depths of Apple documentation suckage until you hit current documentation that refers you to documentation written a zillion years ago where all the example code is in Pascal.

-- Ilan