I agree with this, and I think a lot of people end up getting stuck at
this intermediate stage. Apple has a great "dictionary" and they have
decent "My name is Bob" material. They have little quality material in
the middle. This is where the books fill in. Personally speaking I
spent a lot of time at this middle stage before finally graduating,
mostly through sheer force of will.

There's definitely room for improvement here. My only point is that
the NSString class documentation is the wrong place for it to happen.

+1 absolutely!

cheers
--
Torsten