On May 16, 2008, at 9:30 AM, john darnell wrote:

I don't mean to be mean, but I agree with Joseph; most Apple
documentation is really, really poor.

*No, that's not correct.*  The documentation is extensive, and
comprehensive, but unless you already know what you are reading about,
it might as well have been written in Farsi (no offense meant to any who
speak Farsi--and if Farsi is your first language, then substitute
English for Farsi).

I'm curious what you're actually looking for in documentation; what you think Apple or Microsoft could do to make them better, because I'm having trouble accepting this premise and it seems to me that what you want is simply unrealistic. If they were able to make documentation that made you happy, my guess is that the most of us would hate it, because we'd have to slog through fundamental conceptual information in places where it doesn't belong.

I am not as familiar with Microsoft's documentation, but my limited experience with it has been fairly positive (as much as I hate to say anything good about Microsoft ;) ) and I find the Apple documentation to be excellent. There have been times where the documentation has lagged behind development and caused some difficulties for developers, especially in the early days of OS X, but overall, I think we are spoiled by the amount of information we have available to us. Personally, I think that the "Object-Oriented Programming with Objective-C" book on the developer website, which isn't all that changed from the NeXT days, contains one of the clearest explanations of the concepts underlying object-oriented programming that I've seen anywhere, and it is right where it belongs - that type of conceptual material doesn't belong in the API documentation.

Hand-holding guides exist; they're called books. Apple even offers several guides to conceptual information, but they are separate from the API documentation. Although I think a reasonably intelligent person could learn everything they needed to know from Apple's official documentation without using other books, those other books clearly exist for a reason, which is to shorten the learning curve a bit and gather up a lot of disparate information into one place. Like I. Savant, my educational background is not in programming, and I am pretty much self taught, so believe me, I understand the challenges of learning this stuff. You have to acquire the foundational knowledge, either from the Apple documentation, or from third-party books. You can't just expect to look at tiny pieces of the puzzle like the API documentation of a class and expect to magically get the big picture from it.

Documentation isn't magic. It can't be all things to all people. Considering the complexity and the target audience, I'd say that Apple's documentation is, frankly, stellar. Yes, often understanding one part will require you to do some research to understand a term or concept from another part of the system, or to sit down for a few hours and experiment, or maybe even ask a few questions here. If it could be made so simple that none of that was necessary (without sacrificing functionality), most of the people on this list would be out of a job or, at least, making less money. Too many people assume programming is (or should be) easier than it really is.