Tutorial examples don't really belong in API docs. Their ultimate goal is to state the purpose and usage as directly as possible so the developer can get what they need and move on. Continuously sifting through tutorial information and examples would be quite tedious and redundant for the majority who already understand the general concepts and conventions.

Apple does provide many introductory and advanced "booklets" that help to grasp the concepts and conventions. Once you learn these and put everything together a lot of the APIs make sense, mostly because of Apple's adherence to these concepts and conventions (especially with Cocoa).

Some of the booklets take a little extra looking to find and may contain redundant or seemingly irrelevant information to what you're looking for. But I've found that continuing to read on would produce little gems, or pieces of the puzzle if you will, that spark connections for you that you previously didn't make before.

Apple's tutorials are meant to be used as samples of applying the concepts you've read in the booklets. You know the lingo and basic idea, now you get to see how it's applied in real examples. If you haven't yet learned the idea concepts, the code tutorials won't do much for you. You'll see what code is needed to carry out a certain task, but you won't know why the code was done as it is and won't recognize the application of the concepts and conventions. The tutorial would be mostly fruitless.

Several books have been written that take different approaches to teaching the concepts and showing their applications. Not everyone will learn from the exact same approach, and I don't believe it's possible to make a single approach that works for everyone. Apple presents one approach and it won't work for everyone, and when it doesn't work for you, you search for different approaches.

Back in the college days I had taken two different courses on object oriented programming at two different universities. Both books were 400 pages+. And sadly I still didn't quite understand the relationship of objects and classes and why anyone would need many copies (objects) of something made up of one group of code (a class). I had come from a procedural background and had a procedural mindset.

Then one day I got desperate and bought an online course presented in Shockwave. It took me 3 days to complete the course. Not because it was short, but so much was making sense and I was making so many connections that I couldn't stop and would work at it for 12-15 hours each day. Afterwards OO programing made complete sense and I understood its purpose and possibilities. For some reason that particular approach was just what I needed.

I don't blame the college courses nor do I think they were bad or worthless; They just weren't for me. Apple's approach is not for everyone either but that doesn't invalidate its value. I personally found it extremely helpful.