A bit puzzled ...seems like I need some advise here.

From a NSWindowController I create a modal dialog

  [NSApp runModalForWindow:[self window]];

On a button click I am trying to use NSURLConnection to do retrieve information in a asynchronous fashion

connection = [[NSURLConnection alloc] initWithRequest:request delegate:self];

Unfortunately this only works when I afterwards enter this runloop

    NSAutoreleasePool* pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];
    while(!terminated) {
if (![[NSRunLoop currentRunLoop] runMode:NSDefaultRunLoopMode beforeDate:[NSDate dateWithTimeIntervalSinceNow:100000]]) {
            break;
        }
        [pool release];
        pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];
    }
    [pool release];

(the connectionDidFinishLoading:/connection:didFailWithError: terminates the above loop)

Now I am a bit surprised. Shouldn't runModalForWindow: do pretty much the same thing? The documentation states

"By default, for the connection to work correctly the calling thread’s run loop must be operating in the default run loop mode. See scheduleInRunLoop:forMode: to change the runloop and mode."

But I am a bit lost what to do with that information. I would assume that

scheduleInRunLoop:[NSRunLoop currentRunLoop] forMode:NSDefaultRunLoopMode

is the default anyway. Nevertheless I am targeting 10.4 and this is only available since 10.5.

I found this response from Fraser

http://lists.apple.com/archives/aperture-dev/2008/Feb/msg00036.html

...but I would like to understand the "why". Do I really have to spawn another thread for this? Or is it OK to process the run loop like shown above? I have the feeling I am somehow fighting the framework again here.

Comments?

cheers
--