On May 31, 2008, at 18:55, Jens Alfke wrote:
On 31 May '08, at 8:07 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

I think you want to schedule the connection for the NSModalPanelRunLoopMode runloop mode. This is the mode that is used for modal windows.

You mean with scheduleInRunLoop:forMode: ? ...but that's only available since 10.5

I don't know of a good alternative that's 10.4-compatible, short of running the NSURLConnection on a background thread with its own runloop.

OK ..so at least it was a real shortcoming and not me fighting the framework again.

What about my current solution with the run loop? Does it smell really bad ...or is the workaround OK as well?

But have you considered _not_ using a modal panel? IMHO, modal panels are a "UI smell", to coin a phrase. Does it really need to be impossible for the user to interact in any other way with the app while that panel is open? Usually a sheet will suffice, and sheets don't use a special runloop mode, so that would solve your problem.

Indeed - modal is smelly ...and I have considered non-modal. It would make my life easier. But since I have just integrated your exception handling into the FeedbackReporter framework ...wouldn't you expect the dialog that pops up in case of an uncaught exception to be modal?

cheers
--
Torsten