On 31 May '08, at 8:07 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

I think you want to schedule the connection for the NSModalPanelRunLoopMode runloop mode. This is the mode that is used for modal windows.

You mean with scheduleInRunLoop:forMode: ? ...but that's only available since 10.5

I don't know of a good alternative that's 10.4-compatible, short of running the NSURLConnection on a background thread with its own runloop.

But have you considered _not_ using a modal panel? IMHO, modal panels are a "UI smell", to coin a phrase. Does it really need to be impossible for the user to interact in any other way with the app while that panel is open? Usually a sheet will suffice, and sheets don't use a special runloop mode, so that would solve your problem.

—Jens