On 31 May '08, at 10:14 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

Indeed - modal is smelly ...and I have considered non-modal. It would make my life easier. But since I have just integrated your exception handling into the FeedbackReporter framework ...wouldn't you expect the dialog that pops up in case of an uncaught exception to be modal?

I don't think it should be modal. When it comes up as a modal panel, it's forcing the user to decide between (a) filling out a bug report right now, or (b) continuing with his work. Most people would choose (b), and by dismissing the panel the information in it is lost.

If you make it modeless, then the user can move the exception-alert window aside for the time being, finish the task at hand, and then report the bug a minute later.

I only made it a modal alert in my sample code modal because it's easier to call NSAlert than to make a new nib. :)

—Jens