On 2 Jun 2008, at 00:20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Gerriet M. Denkmann
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
When I use an NSMetadataQuery with the NSPredicate <kMDItemTextContent LIKE "To be, or not to be;"> it seems to find all documents which contain these words in any order; and as they are kind of common, it finds 23363 files.

Not quite what I intended.
Actually I am looking for those documents which contain this string exactly
as written (e.g. Shakespeare/Plays/Hamlet/3.1.rtf ).

I believe you want "contains", not "like".

Following your suggestion, I changed my predicateFormat to:
@"%@ contains kMDItemTextContent" which translates into:
<kMDItemTextContent IN "To be, or not to be"> and behaves more or less exactly like LIKE.

So again: how to search kMDItemTextContent for a string containing spaces? (10.4.11).

Kind regards,

Gerriet