> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 22:45:49 -0400
> From: "Frederick C. Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: What's the NSMailDelivery replacement for Leopard and Beyond?
> To: Cocoa Developers <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
>
> I need to send data through the mail from within my Cocoa program.
> This is to be for general release; so it must be stable.
> NSMailDelivery appear to be a candidate; unfortunately it's deprecated
> in Leopard+.
>
> So what does Apple intend us to use as the replacement?
>
> I've scanned the discussion groups and I haven't found a consensus
> yet.  I would prefer to use an Apple <certified> or <tested> framework.
> All I need to do is send textual data to a mail server with no binary
> attachments.  So I'm looking for a simple ObjC - level method.

Others have already noted the lack of this capability in the OS (and even
when it was there, it depended on some level of configuration by the user,
making it kind of imperfect for many needs).  It's been mentioned before,
but if you simply need to send a canned e-mail with specific inputs and a
fixed format, it's quite easy to submit data to a PHP script on your own
server, and let it send out the mail (some relatively simple safeguards need
to be put in place to make it secure).

I would avoid attempting to script Mail.app or other mail programs; it can
be a never-ending headache.

Craig

--
Dr. Craig Hunter