There is an open source option in the works. Look at EDMessage on:

http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/software/EDFrameworks/

You will see three open source frameworks. EDMessage provides equivalent if not more functionality than NSMailDelivery by directly interacting with a SMTP server.

EDCommon has gotten continued support over the years, while EDMessage (which relies on it) has languished. In fact the project on the web site will currently not build.

I reconstructed that EDMessage and it now builds. Also, I back ported some enhancements made to it in OPMessageServices (http://sourceforge.net/projects/opmservices/) to support new SMTP service extensions such as authentication.

At this time, the code builds without error, sends mail with or without attachments to .MAC using authentication and can use port 22 or 587. If anyone would like to experiment with it, just ask and I'll send you EDMessage and a test project (you will need to get EDCommon off the URL above).

I propose to continue support of EDMessage, and am in discussions with the original author (Erik Doernenburg) as to how to best accomplish that.

David