On 10 Jun 2008, at 15:16, Chris Ridd wrote:

On 10 Jun 2008, at 05:12, Mark Munz wrote:

Just wishing for the problem to go away or blaming external criteria
will almost guarantee that nothing gets done. Filing bugs is how you,
the developer, communicate your needs to Apple.

Since ICU is open source, the other productive thing to do would be to give the ICU folks a hand at writing whatever bits of gunk are required by Apple.

"The ICU folks" actually includes Apple, since they have at least one person working on ICU (IIRC ICU was one of the results of Apple's collaboration with IBM on Taligent). As I understand it, the main reason it isn't fully exposed is that ICU is primarily a C++ library and there have and continue to be binary compatibility issues with C++ APIs.

I think Apple is likely to add CFRegularExpression and a bridged NSRegularExpression at some point, and very probably a load of CF/ NSString and NSScanner APIs to go with them, but it isn't a trivial amount of work and I imagine they will want to think it through carefully before deciding on the API, not to mention the supported regexp syntax(es). By contrast, most of the regexp frameworks currently available are thin wrappers around an existing regular expression engine and have been knocked up quickly to fill a need. More thought needs to go into a system API and since CFStrings can exist in a number of different internal storage formats it may even make sense for Apple to do its own regexp implementation to achieve the best performance.

Anyway, all of that is up to them. As others have said, filing bug reports is the way to push for this work if you want it done. Whether working on ICU or not will make things happen faster is something that only people inside Apple could tell us. My guess is that it won't make any difference, but it's just a guess.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net