> On 21 Dec 2015, at 22:24, Sean McBride <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 22:16:39 +0000, Jonathan Mitchell said:
>
>> My app seems to be having trouble reading and writing to the
>> applicationSupportDirectory.
>
> What's "trouble"?  What error code do you get trying to write to the
> directory?
>
> Cheers,
The “trouble” seems  systemic.
The issues appear only when I use a signed archived release of my app for a
standard or guest user.
Debug builds are fine.

The issues seem to be:

1. My preferences file does not get updated on first launch. This causes
trouble further on.
2. In -applicationDidFinishLaunching: an exception is raised because of the
failure to find a key in NSUserDefaults.
3. NSApplication logs the exception in 2 but does not abort. This effectively
short circuits -applicationDidFinishLaunching leaving the app in an
unanticipated state.

I probably mis-diagnosed the original issue.

I can probably insert a try/catch block in  -applicationDidFinishLaunching: but
the main issue is the write failure of the preferences file.

Perhaps I need to try sandboxing and see what happens. I ‘seem' to be tripping
over some code signing / security infrastructure that comes into play for non
admin users.