> On 22 Dec 2015, at 12:21, Roland King <r...@rols.org> wrote:
>

>> On 22 Dec 2015, at 20:11, Jonathan Mitchell <jonat...@mugginsoft.com> wrote:

>> 1. My preferences file does not get updated on first launch. This causes
>> trouble further on.
>> I can probably insert a try/catch block in  -applicationDidFinishLaunching:
>> but the main issue is the write failure of the preferences file.
>>

> What’s trying to write the preferences file and how is that related to the
> applicationSupportDirectory?
Likely none. I probably misdiagnosed the issue initially.
When I say write the user preferences what I mean is that the preferences I
initially establish for my app do not get ultimately persisted by the defaults
system.

> Are you trying to hand-write a preferences file instead of setting the user
> defaults and synchronize them?
No. I use the standard approach.

> The connection between the preferences files in the ~/Library/Preferences
> directory and the things loaded by NSUserDefaults has been tenuous for a few
> releases of the OS, the plist files get written, and read, only when the OS
> jolly well feels like it, the rest of the time they’re cached probably in a
> daemon.
Yes. I am aware of all that.
Regardless of when the prefs get persisted the user defaults available to the
app are not what I anticipate.

As I said the issue only appears for a signed archive build for non admin users.
For admin users and debug builds for non admin users everything is fine.