On Aug 30, 2016, at 17:20 , Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> IIRC you can’t conditionalize on the OS version

No, you can, and it’s everything we always wanted for Obj-C. That is, you can
test the OS version, and the compiler does proper deployment target checking.
(It forces you to use conditional code when the situation requires it).

However, Rick is correct. Trying to move your code forward to Swift 2.3 or
later is not a good idea if you want to submit before the next Swift version is
released (and Xcode 8 goes GM). This boundary is something of a special case,
because of the radical nature of the changes currently being made to Swift**,
and shouldn’t happen again like this. OTOH, there have been no syntax
enhancements to Swift for about 2 weeks now, which suggests to me that Xcode 8
is about to go GM.

** In effect, the current round of changes are transforming Swift from an Apple
language to a platform-neutral language.

Interestingly, this involves transforming Foundation from an Apple framework to
a platform-neutral framework. Foundation is basic Cocoa behavior, and Cocoa is
a direct descendant of NeXTStep. Very (very, very) loosely, NeXTStep is about
to go global.