> On 12 Sep 2016, at 15:10, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> On Sep 12, 2016, at 01:00 , Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerr...@mdenkmann.de> wrote:
>>
>> This is what I wanted to write:
>>
>> if self is SArray { … }
>> But the compiler warns me: Cast from ‘SBase.Type’ to unrelated type 'SArray'
>> always fails.
>> It is right: the test always fails. And wrong: they are NOT unrelated:
>> SArray is subclass of SBase.
>
> I typed this into a playground:
>
>> class SBase {
>>      func a ()       {
>>              if self is SArray { print ("SArray") } else { print ("not
>> SArray") }
>>      }
>> }
>>
>> class SArray: SBase {
>> }
>>
>> let s1 = SBase ()
>> s1.a ()
>> let s2 = SArray ()
>> s2.a ()
>
> and got this output:
>
>> not SArray
>> SArray
>
> So you’re doing something different. Can you show a code fragment that
> demonstrates the problem in a playground?

I tried it in a playground and got exactly the same results as you.

I seem to remember that in the last WWDC videos there was some mention that
Swift 3 would do module-wide optimisation.
If this is correct, then this might imply that Swift 2.x cannot do this.

In my real (as opposed to playground) code, each class lives in a different
file.
So maybe this makes the Swift 2.x compiler think that these classes are
unrelated.

By the way: was there is the last keynote a mention of the time for macOS 12?

Kind regards,

Gerriet.