On 28 Nov 2016, at 16:18, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerri...@icloud.com> wrote:

>> On 28 Nov 2016, at 22:13, Eric E. Dolecki <edole...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You could probably use an attributed string and add an attribute for the
>> last colon: NSBaselineOffsetAttributeName
>
> Yes; but this would be some rather desperate work-around.
>
> I was rather thinking of UIFontDescriptorFeatureSettingsAttribute with some
> Feature type from SFNTLayoutTypes.h (in CoreText).
> I tried a few types, but no success so far.

The problem you’ve got is that unless the font has a feature that specifically
allows you to change *any* colon (as opposed to a colon between two numerals),
you aren’t going to be able to do it by turning on an OpenType feature.  Even
if you can, there doesn’t appear to be a standard feature code for this, so
you’d be reliant on Apple not changing it in the future.

What you *could* do instead is get Core Text (or Cocoa Text) to lay out a
string e.g. "12:00”, then grab the glyph for the centred colon directly from
that string and use it explicitly, e.g. by attaching a
kCTGlyphInfoAttributeName attribute to your string with the value set to an
appropriately constructed CTGlyphInfoRef.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net