On Nov 29, 2016, at 09:38 , Doug Hill <cocoa...@breaqz.com> wrote:

> But seriously, why didn’t Apple document what those stylistic alernative type
> attribute constants are? Are they supposed to change? Did they not know what
> they correspond to when creating the header? Did they not expect that
> developers would use this feature?

My guess is because there aren’t any definitions, but these are instead
optional font-specific features with generic identifications. And, lo and
behold, when I went to check on this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typographic_features#OpenType_typographic_features

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typographic_features#OpenType_typographic_features>

there they are [well, I presume this is them] under the heading “Ligation and
alternate forms features intended for all scripts” as “Stylistic Set 1 – 20”.
Indeed, if you look at the example of Stylistic Set 04 here:

        ilovetypography.com/OpenType/opentype-features.html

it even looks like the meaning of the set is somehow defined within the font.

(Note that there appear to be “stylistic alternates”, and “stylistic sets”
which are a specific kind of stylistic alternate, so the whole system seems
more complicated than I was able to grasp in 5 minutes of searching.)

I’m ready to stand corrected, but — unless there’s a separate registry or
convention on what the sets mean — this appears to me to indicate that the
centered colon may only work for SF and perhaps a set of other Apple-tweaked
fonts that are intended to have the same behavior.