> On 24 Jun 2017, at 1:45 am, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerri...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> the image looks fine, but when I write subData to disk, it has 64 x 64 pixels.

By making the NSBitMapRepresentation yourself, creating a context for it,
drawing to that.

If you make it yourself using the long-winded but complete initializer, you
have total control. Any of the other ‘convenience’ methods do various things
that you can’t see, are poorly documented, and give unexpected results. Even
when they work today their implementations change and one day might do
something else, suddenly breaking your code. I’ve certainly had that happen
when Retina screen came out for example, and had to go back and do it using the
long initializer so I got what I asked for.

—Graham