LOL, "better" and "badly" are subjective.  To belabor your original metaphor,
if Apple is indeed selling gasoline cars, we're still looking for
hybrid/electric ones.  if only we could have skipped the gasoline and had
thoughtful development right to solar/electric/etc. (instead of climate
change).  I don't think backward compatibility is necessarily the solution (and
Windows is no beacon of hope for good dev), but removing useful capability for
no good reason is just plain stupid.

A lot of recent changes at Apple are not "better", just because they're
changes/new/different (disbanding the router team
<https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/10/apple-mesh-wifi-system-airport/>instead of
keeping-up with new WiFi developments and saturating the home with a
full/robust Apple ecosystem; removing "disablelocal" in High Sierra
<https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79297>; all of the mess that was/is
High Sierra
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=high+sierra+exploit+macos&atb=v109-7_y&ia=web> until
10.13.4  finally(?), releasing iOS11 knowing it did not work with Office 365
<https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/82279> and so on).  It goes well
beyond APIs and software devs.

Anyone who'd disagree with even just the few things I listed, you simply
reaffirm my actual point.  It's not "better", just "different", which too often
just plain sucks (or is fan-freaking-tastic, depending on your bent)...

If it ain't broke*,
-Matt

*P.S.  To carry your metaphor even further, if you're gonna spruce-up the
engine, make sure the thing still has wheels (and round ones, no less) when
you're done!