I don't think this is applicable here. If you have a function to "delete a
file", it will still be a function to delete a file, there's no
improvement! Apple is simply covering badly designed APIs, which do work,
they are far from ideal, but they work. If they replace an API, they need
to provide full backwards compatibility. Look at Windows, it's backwards
compatible without problems for like 20 years now (yes I made some hardcore
projects 20 years ago and they still work). So apparently it is possible.
Whenever MS designs something new, the old version still works, may not be
ideal, but let's face it, several times slower file delete because of
backwards compatibility? That's a joke...

Cheers!
Vojtech
www.meldaproduction.com
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/MeldaProduction>, Twitter