We started out assuming that ARC was like Python or Java, where you could just
allocate
objects and it would manage their lifetimes automatically. Then we read about
the complexities
of ARC, and started adding __weak to upstream references.

After we finished, the controller for our main window started being deallocated
some random time after launch.
Apparently the erroneous strong references were keeping it alive.

We allocate the controller in our app delegate class. It's a member but
apparently that is not a
strong enough reference, so the controller is released at the end of the scope.
What is best practice to
hold a strong reference on it until the app closes?

BTW, one site we looked at describes ARC as "kind of like a Japanese B-horror
movie". That seems accurate.

Casey McDermott
TurtleSoft.com

  • ARC Casey McDermott via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Alex Zavatone via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Ben Kennedy via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Alex Zavatone via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Jens Alfke via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
        • Re: ARC Gary L. Wade via Cocoa-dev
        • Re: ARC Jens Alfke via Cocoa-dev
          • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
            • Re: ARC Jean-Daniel via Cocoa-dev