Our app delegate class is not deallocated.  The window controller is
deallocated
despite the member reference there.  If we keep the second strong reference
to the controller,
then the outline view is deallocated instead.  Nothing references the view
except being in the .xib file for the window controller.

We had similar problems with a NSTabViewer.  When we futzed the build
settings to allow
breakpoints on retain and release, it was being retained 34 times and
released 35 times-
all inside Apple code.  The only way we found to fix that was to stop using
a NSTabViewController
and just manage it directly.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 8:27 PM Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2019, at 2:17 PM, Casey McDermott via Cocoa-dev <
> cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> After we finished, the controller for our main window started being
> deallocated some random time after launch.
> Apparently the erroneous strong references were keeping it alive.
>

> AppKit delegates, like NSWindow.delegate, are unsafe-unretained
> references; this might be giving you trouble.
>
> We allocate the controller in our app delegate class. It's a member but
> apparently that is not a
> strong enough reference, so the controller is released at the end of the
> scope.
>

> A member variable is a strong reference by default, so that should suffice
> to keep it alive. Is your app delegate itself being dealloced?
>
> —Jens

  • ARC Casey McDermott via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Alex Zavatone via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Ben Kennedy via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Alex Zavatone via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Jens Alfke via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
        • Re: ARC Gary L. Wade via Cocoa-dev
        • Re: ARC Jens Alfke via Cocoa-dev
          • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
            • Re: ARC Jean-Daniel via Cocoa-dev
              • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
              • Re: ARC Owen Hartnett via Cocoa-dev
        • Re: ARC Uli Kusterer via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Roland King via Cocoa-dev