Casey, it it’s an iOS app, read up on strong and weak and use the storyboard to
breat your first screen.

Assuming it’s an iOS app…

Why are you allocating the controller in the app delegate?  Are you embedding
it in a Nav controller?

ARC is fantastic.

The view controller is within the window.  I know I’ll need more info to help.

> On Aug 23, 2019, at 4:17 PM, Casey McDermott via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> We started out assuming that ARC was like Python or Java, where you could
> just allocate
> objects and it would manage their lifetimes automatically. Then we read about
> the complexities
> of ARC, and started adding __weak to upstream references.
>
> After we finished, the controller for our main window started being
> deallocated some random time after launch.
> Apparently the erroneous strong references were keeping it alive.
>
> We allocate the controller in our app delegate class. It's a member but
> apparently that is not a
> strong enough reference, so the controller is released at the end of the
> scope. What is best practice to
> hold a strong reference on it until the app closes?
>
> BTW, one site we looked at describes ARC as "kind of like a Japanese B-horror
> movie". That seems accurate.
>
> Casey McDermott
> TurtleSoft.com
>
> This email sent to z...@mac.com

  • ARC Casey McDermott via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Alex Zavatone via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Ben Kennedy via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Alex Zavatone via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Jens Alfke via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
        • Re: ARC Gary L. Wade via Cocoa-dev
        • Re: ARC Jens Alfke via Cocoa-dev
          • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
            • Re: ARC Jean-Daniel via Cocoa-dev
              • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev