> BTW, one site we looked at describes ARC as "kind of like a Japanese B-horror
> movie". That seems accurate.

I don’t know what site wrote that but it couldn’t be less accurate. ARC is one
of the better pieces of technology Apple introduced into Objective-C and it cut
down on a huge number of memory leaks and random crashes which came from people
messing up implementing retain/release manually. And it interoperated with
manual retain/release. And unlike other solutions to memory management it
doesn’t have a garbage collection thread running somewhere looking for things
to deallocate and reference loops. And Apple, when they introduced it, added
tools into XCode and Instruments to find reference loops so you could fix them
before you ship.

You have to learn a couple of rules, and really just a couple, and think about
the ownership of your objects, which most of the time is trivial. Your reward
is an application with deterministic and memory handling without having to
scrub through the code working out who ought to release an object.

  • Re: ARC Jens Alfke via Cocoa-dev
    • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Gary L. Wade via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Jens Alfke via Cocoa-dev
        • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
          • Re: ARC Jean-Daniel via Cocoa-dev
            • Re: ARC Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
      • Re: ARC Uli Kusterer via Cocoa-dev
  • Re: ARC Roland King via Cocoa-dev