agreed.  i'm a small one person company with about ten of thousand customers,
half mac half windows.

wrote for mac first, carbon C++
ported to windows by porting CoreFoundation, then simulating Carbon APIs for
everything else

it's taken me YEARS to try to switch to Cocoa, and i'm still not done. when
Catalina comes out, i will be UNABLE to sell on new macs, and unable to run on
customers who choose to upgrade, all because Apple abandoned Carbon in 32bits
(if i remember correctly, apple HAD a 64bit port for carbon but chose not to
release it)

my app also depended on QuickTime, which is now dead, forcing an entire rewrite
of my media player engine.

i keep having to rewrite things because apple makes promises, which i trust
then come to depend on, then Apple breaks those promises, forcing years worth
of work for me JUST to tread water.

my current windows app STILL WORKS ON VISTA, i don't have to do ANYTHING to
"stay up to date" with Windows, cuz they support backward compatibility, and
don't force changes on developers.

MS used to be the bad guy, and Apple the good guy.

how times have changed.