Here’s another small developer’s perspective:
        Practica Musica has been around since 1987 in one form or another
(originally in 68000 assembler!). We’ve sold a lot of Macs for Apple.  The
upcoming version 7 is still C++ with Objective-C where necessary for the UI. We
refuse to use Swift, another platform-specific language: the project is very
large and we can’t rewrite hundreds of files on a whim.  Swift may be nice, but
it’s not necessary.
        I haven’t been paying close attention and can’t tell if the concern in
this discussion is over any hints that Apple might again force a major change
on existing apps, but if there have been such hints let me add another voice to
the chorus: Apple really needs to keep its installed base.
        The new Windows version of Practica Musica is 100% plain old C++, using
Microsoft’s new C++/winrt, so mostly only the UI classes differ from the Mac
version. That is a clean, easy, fast system and I can trust them not to abandon
it any time soon. Using their new system was entirely voluntary; the old ways
are still viable but the new one is just better.
        I hope Apple can borrow that attitude from MS.  I worry about Apple
pulling the rug out from under our Mac projects somewhere down the line. If
they do we’ll have to abandon the platform, with great regrets. Switching to
Intel chips was unavoidable; we understood that; but if, for example,  they
deprecate the existing Obj-C UI they’ll leave a lot of installed base behind.

        Jeff Evans

On Oct 2, 2019, at 10:43 AM, Richard Charles via Cocoa-dev
<cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2019, at 11:14 AM, Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> Sadly, we just decided to abandon the Cocoa update for our app.

Great historical overview from a small developers perspective. Perhaps you
should send this email to Tim Cook. It might some attention. Just a thought.

--Richard Charles

This email sent to jev...@ars-nova.com