> be a good time for a SwiftUI pivot. If true, Cocoa is the new Carbon.

I think, eventually, maybe in 5 years' time, that will be the case.
This is really just a guess, I have no insights into Apple's roadmap.

Speaking of which: I have never been there myself, but wouldn't the apple
engineers
at WWDC share some private, unofficially insights into Apple's future plans?

> We have to plan 5 or 10 years ahead, because it takes that long to create

I can understand that.

My guess would be that in 5-10 years' time, iPad's (i.e., tablets in general),
will be powerful enough that there won't be any laptop's any more,
except maybe some rare models for the gamers.
The laptops by that time will essentially be tablets that come with
pre-installed keyboard.

I am not sure what will happen to the standard desktop market.
OTOH, tablets by that time will be powerful enough that , I guess, 90 % of all
office applications will run just fine on a tablet.
OTOH, CIO's are usually reluctant to try out new hardware.

That would mean that macOS might go away eventually, too,
because everything will run under iOS.

Best regards, Gabriel