> On Nov 19, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> I have been poking around on developer.apple.com, trying to get the big
> picture on the future of Cocoa for Mac. Ditto for the future of big apps.

Send an email to Aaron Hillegass. He might be able to give you an educated
guess about the remaining life of the Cocoa frameworks in Objective-C and the
future of big apps on the Mac. Let us know if you hear back from him and what
he tells you.

https://academy.realm.io/posts/altconf-aaron-hillegass-eulogy-for-objective-c/

You could submit a developer technical support incident to Apple and ask them
point blank how much longer they will be supporting the Cocoa frameworks in
Objective-C. Let us know if you hear back from them assuming the answer is not
under a non-disclosure agreement.

> It's all SwiftUI and Swift.

If I understand it correctly, there is a linkage between Swift and Objective-C.
Apple devised a way to call the Cocoa frameworks written in Objective-C from
the Swift language using the magic of the LLVM compiler. A great question would
be is possible for Apple to pull the Objective-C rug out from underneath the
Cocoa frameworks leaving only a Swift implementation?

Carbon was a completely different animal. Apple pulled, so to speak, the core
out of Foundation and came up with Core Foundation to give life and
interoperability for the Carbon layer. However NOTHING of lasting value was
built on the Carbon layer. The whole Carbon thing can be swept away and what
difference does it make.

When committing to 64 bit Apple said NO to Carbon but YES to Cocoa and YES to
Core Foundation and YES to a lot of other stuff. The OS still has the XNU
(Mach) Kernel and FreeBSD (written in C & C++), the Cocoa frameworks (base
layer written in Objective-C), Swift and lots of other stuff. From my point of
view I do not see Apple sweeping away Objective-C and the Cocoa frameworks any
time soon. Essentially they said as much in their 64-Bit Transition Guide.

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/64bitPorting/HighLevelAPIs/HighLevelAPIs.html

--Richard Charles