> On Nov 20, 2019, at 8:28 AM, Pier Bover via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> For example the vast majority of audio software
> companies are still communicating to its users to not update to Catalina.
> Huge audio companies like Native Instruments are still struggling with this.

That's misleading. Native Instruments software all runs 64-bit, as far as I'm
aware. The issue is that a 64-bit process cannot load 32-bit plugins
(obviously), nor communicate with a 32-bit userspace hardware driver … and many
of NI's customers have older 3rd party VST or AU plugins or drivers that would
stop working.

NI has previously told their customers* they can work around this by launching
their apps in 32-bit mode, but of course that no longer works in Catalina.
That's what the warning is about.

(There's also the fact that many major OS upgrades have changes to Core Audio
that can cause issues with audio apps, so there always seems to be a shake-out
period where Apple and/or the audio developer release some maintenance fixes.)

—Jens

*
https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209592169-Managing-Applications-and-Plug-ins-on-OS-X-32-64-bit-Systems