Oh, I guess I didn’t explain what I was talking about well. I’m saying that the
compiler would do a full method inline but put it behind a check to see if it’s
legal to continue executing. For example, code like this:

@interface Foo
- (void)bar;
@end

// Another method in some random class
- (void)baz {
        Foo *foo = // whatever
        [foo bar];
}

would end up being compiled to something like this:

- (void)baz {
        Foo *foo = // whatever
        if (bar_is_unswizzled()) {
                // Inlined version of -[Foo bar]
        } else {
                // Fall back to going through objc_msgSend

where bar_is_unswizzled() is some sort of runtime check that makes sure that
the actual target is what we had thought it’d be at compile time. I’d hope that
a branch predictor would be able to do a pretty good job on this considering
that the guessing “true” would work 99% of the time.

Saagar Jha