> On Nov 21, 2019, at 5:49 PM, Gabriel Zachmann via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>

>> If someone can afford days/weeks to do watch WWDC sessions consistently
>> every year it's great. That's not a luxury all of us can afford and it's
>> ridiculous to think this should be a requirement.
>>

> But then, I am wondering, how does your company ensure your programmers
> stay up-to-date?
> I have a hard time seeing how programmers can remain productive especially in
> these days where innovation (new frameworks, new tools, new programming
> languages) is so fast.

As a programmer, I do the following:

1) Keep actively coding.
2) Adopt new technologies as the times and means allow*
3) Specialize in Apple software environment.  Not enough time to do more than
that.
4) Participate in a Mac/iOS programming meetup group
5) Watch every second of relevant WWDC videos on the train to and from work.

The reason I hitched my wagon to Apple’s star was that it was hard.  It never
was easy to program Macs, and now devices.  Guys who can code for the hard
stuff get the top dollar.
Nobody will pay big bucks for a great BASIC programmer.  Or HTML, or python.
(No shade on these platforms, they’re just …easier)

-Owen

*I’m easing my way into Swift, basically a class at a time.

-O