I used both for a moderately successful app, with a lite version with ads and a
“full" version without, then I tried to add IAP to the lite app to remove ads.

IAP has been an easier path at least from the point of view of development
effort, mainly for the reduction in QA time. Also the conversion from lite to
pro was _way_ less frequent than the buying of an IAP to “remove ads”.

In the specific case, at the end I removed the IAP from the lite version and
got back to 2 different version (“lite” with ads and pro) because it’s
impossible to stop tracking from the loaded ad libraries, so I decided it was
not worth to have an IAP to remove ads without removing tracking.

HTH,
gt