On Jul 9, 2008, at 2:08 PM, Rick Mann wrote:

On Jul 9, 2008, at 12:59:33, David Duncan wrote:

Given what it sounds like your content is, I might consider putting the whole canvas on a single or small set of tiled layers (they can be unbounded in size).

Oh. I had thought making each individual part its own CALayer was most appropriate. I intend for each part to change its appearance to reflect selection, hover, etc, as well as be draggable, rotatable, etc. Animating these these changes seems to dictate making each its own layer.

Now, I'm not really sure how to animate something I'm drawing directly (for example, when you're hovering over a part, I would like it's "significant contour" to pulsate, or something like that).

Either method should work, but you may want to consider resource usage in both as well. Its certainly plausible to logically pull something out of its parent layer (i.e. redraw it into another layer) when selected, then when deselected burn it into the model so its drawn on its parent layer again.

But its mostly an implementation detail. I would probably go with what works first, then if you find a performance issue to consider a change then. As always, premature optimization is to be avoided.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing