On Jul 20, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Rick Mann wrote:

David, I checked my code again, and realized I was setting the bias to 1 (I thought I saw that in a sample). I don't really understand how the numbers are interpreted, but when I set it higher (4, and then 10), my layers started getting redrawn.

Its all powers of 2. Levels of detail is how many of them you have, starting at 1. So if you set levelsOfDetail to 3, then you have 1, 1/2, 1/4. If you set it to 7 you add 1/8, 1/16. This effectively means you have smaller representations of your data.

levelsOfDetailBias biases levelsOfDetail so that you can scale up as well as down. So if we go back to levelsOfDetail set to 3, but set levelsOfDetailBias to 1, then you get instead 2, 1, 1/2. If you set it to 2, then you get 4, 2, 1. Setting this value greater than levelsOfDetail-1 is may work (haven't tried it) but doesn't really give you anything.

Effectively together you get the powers of 2 from 2^(levelsOfDetailBias) to 2^(levelsOfDetailBias-levelsOfDetail+1) for your representations.

I'm not even sure I see a way to do that by writing my own animators & renderers (I can't figure out how to subclass CARenderer, anyway).

You wouldn't want to subclass CARenderer anyway, I can't imagine anything useful that you could get out of doing so.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing