At some point you have to realise that it's a compiler, a very dumb finite state machine. It can't intelligently recognise every possible nuance of your code. I agree it's not good behaviour - in my case it caused a bug that corrupted memory that crashed the program in a completely unrelated place, and took me 11 hours to find the real cause.

One thing you could do is to unravel that big compound statement somewhat and explicitly type some intermediate variables. This not only makes the code more readable, but any warnings that the compiler can offer will be more obvious. There's no real performance advantage to huge compound statements, and they definitely make code harder to read at times.

Graham