On 6 Aug 2008, at 15:57, William Squires wrote:

What's the proper way to make a C/ObjC program (Foundation tool) be used with the pipe operator? I want to make a simple filter that takes the output of "ls -la" and reformats it to appear more like the MS-DOS directory listing. So, I would do something like "ls -la | mydosfilter" and get a directory listing with the filename first, the # bytes second, then the timestamp (leaving out everything from the UNIX permissions bits to the group, and rearranging the rest.)

Just read input from standard in, and write output to stardard out.

Also, what's the proper place to put the resulting executable so all users can use it in Terminal.App without having to do "ls -la | <path to mydosfilter>" every time. Can I put this in the deployment target once the linker is done? Do I need "sudo" to copy there? I know just enough tcsh stuff to be dangerous... :)

Anywhere on your $PATH variable.  Usually /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin

Finally, what's the number just after the UNIX permissions bits? the PID?

From man ls...
If the -l option is given, the following information is displayed for each file: file mode, number of links, owner name, group name, number of bytes in the file, abbreviated month, day-of-month file was last modi- fied, hour file last modified, minute file last modified, and the path- name. In addition, for each directory whose contents are displayed, the total number of 512-byte blocks used by the files in the directory is displayed on a line by itself, immediately before the information for the
     files in the directory.  If the file or directory has extended
attributes, the permissions field printed by the -l option is followed by a '@' character. Otherwise, if the file or directory has extended secu- rity information, the permissions field printed by the -l option is fol-
     lowed by a '+' character.